Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pick up lines for friends?

Early last week i stumbled upon a post about pick up lines. Of course most of them were corny, cliché, or just plain gross but some of them came with stories that led to a life long relationship. These pick up lines sparked my internal struggle with being a new stay at home mom in a city where i still don’t know many people. Asking myself the question of “What is a good pick up line for another mom”?

There is no doubt about it being a stay at home mom is a hard job even though it is the best job. It is 24 hours a day 7 days a week with no sick or vacation days but what makes it harder for me is living 600 miles away from both of our families. I find that there are so many days that i want to get out of this house and just go hang out at my moms or sisters for a little while for some adult interaction and a change of environment for Liam.

So I am sure you are asking yourself, what about friends? Ahhh yes, friends, i have one of those. When we moved to Indy a year and a half ago we did not make any close friends outside of our jobs, which given my situation now is not a good thing. I am so thankful that Erin and I share a friendship that was more than just co-worker to co-worker and that i still have her today to talk to and spend time with. I think one of the hardest things for me right now is that i became a stay at home mom right when the weather started to change and get cold. I have looked online so many times for activities that Liam and I could go to but it seems as though he is just too young for things like that (such as story time at the library). I have joined meetup.com and found what looks like a great stay at home mom meet up group but i have yet to contact the group because i still have those same feeling as an insecure teen trying to be accepted by a group of people that already know one another.

So here is hoping for A) we get transferred to a new city and i bite the bullet and join a mom’s group or B) we stay here and i meet someone during one of our walks around the neighborhood once the weather finally breaks of course.

No comments: